Stroud Sports Clinic | Stroud Times

Byrnes fires Wood


Chipping Sodbury 2 Shortwood 3 – UHL Supplementary Cup

Fin Byrnes bagged a brace as Shortwood United pulled off a fine win against Chipping Sodbury to reach the quarter-finals of the Supplementary Cup, writes Jim Cunneen.

This was a doubly pleasing result not only for the win, but also for the way they kept their discipline. Shortwood are very strong in their belief of the maxim – no referee, no game – and despite some frankly surreal decisions just got on with the game despite their justifiable frustrations and thoroughly deserved their win. For Wood, Tunnicliff was superb at the back but even he was overshadowed by Byrnes who appeared to be everywhere and topped off his man-of-the-match performance with two goals.

Wood might have fallen behind after only 3 minutes when Pryce headed over a good chance and minutes later Nathan Payne’s cross to the far post was just too high for Lennon Lewis.

Luke Soule then stretched to try and divert a Payne shot that was drifting wide as Wood showed they were more than a match for their Premier Division opponents.

Wood fell behind after 14 minutes when former Shortwood striker Levi Cox found room to shoot home from the edge of the area.

Undaunted, Wood responded. Soule had a goal-bound shot blocked and then sheer persistence from Lewis took him through but Sod’s keeper Brain kept his effort out Brain then did well to pluck a cross off Soule’s head before Wood deservedly levelled after 31 minutes. Payne sent in a corner and Sodbury defender Hall – Cousins sent a bullet header past his own keeper for an own goal.

Sodbury were then extremely fortunate not to go down to 10 minutes when Lewis Tosdevine was on the receiving end of a shocking tackle which should have seen a straight red card but only received a yellow.

Wood were perplexed but retained their composure and took the lead just two minutes later. A good move down the right saw Lewis cross low into the box and Fin Byrnes swept the ball home.

After 42 minutes Sodbury were level as Harvey took advantage of too much space to fire home from 8 yards.

The second half was far from pretty and good football was at a premium but Wood hung in and match Sodbury in all departments.

Sims saved low from Pryce and twice Chevelleau fired high over the bar. Byrnes and Payne came close for the Wood and Brain saved well from Lewis. Chevelleau shot into the side netting and Tunnicliff had a header deflected wide. 

With 3 minutes to go, Lewis again crossed low from the right and again Byrnes shot first time into the corner to give Wood an excellent win.  

Shortwood: Sims, Peyton, Barrett, Byrnes, Tryner, Tunnicliff, Payne, Tosdevine (Nowell 72), Soule, Solomon (Underwood 55), Lewis 

Star Man: Fin Byrnes

Latest News

Important news regarding Stroud Market

Stroud's popular vegan market will take place on Easter Sunday.
Skip to content