League leaders Forest Green settle for a point in high-octane Tranmere clash


Forest Green boss Rob Edwards felt his side had enough chances to win the game in a high-octane thriller against Tranmere Rovers.

League Two leaders Forest Green hit the bar through Matty Stevens in the second half in a game that saw Luke McGee and Ross Doohan shine in goal for both sides. Forest Green substitute Jake Young almost snatched a stoppage-time winner for the Gloucestershire side after Calum MacDonald was sent off for Tranmere with three minutes to go.

“It was a good point against a very good team,” said Edwards. “I  thought we had chances to win the game, but the performance was very good – really committed. We defended well and Luke McGee made some good saves and our wide players, Nicky Cadden and Kane Wilson were really good, but we just couldn’t get it over the line. It was a really entertaining 0-0 and I would think both sets of supporters will go home happy.”

Edwards lauded the impact of his defensive unit as they made it four clean sheets on the spin.

Ben Stevenson starts an attack Pic: Shane Healey/ Pro Sports Images

He added: “I’m pleased for Luke McGee and the defence, If you don’t concede you don’t  lose the game, but it has been a team effort.”

A  breathtaking start saw McGee in the Forest Green goal and his opposite number Doohan forced into smart stops inside the opening sixty-seconds.

It was nip and tuck in a scoreless first-half, but Forest Green’s Stevens should have opened the scoring eight minutes before the break – nodding wide from Jamille Matt’s header following a pin-point Kane Wilson cross.

 A minute later, McGee did well to clutch a Josh Hawkes’ strike and even better with a sprawling save from Calum MacDonald’s thunderous hit.

Jamille Matt pounces during a tense 0-0 clash against Tranmere Pic: Shane Healey/ Pro Sports Images

From the second half get-go Tranmere captain Peter Clarke  blocked a certain goal from Kane Wilson and then Nicky Cadden skewed wide.

Stevens smacked the Tranmere bar from the edge of the box on 59 minutes and Doohan did well to glove Wilson’s hit and at the other end, McGee gloved Kieron Morris’s stinger.

Former Liverpool midfielder Jay Spearing attacks Ben Stevenson Pic: Shane Healey/ Pro Sports Images

Forest Green substitute Young came close to snatching a win with six minutes to go but Doohan got a decent glove on the ball. Tranmere were reduced to 10 men when MacDonald picked up a second yellow for a foul on Ebou Adams with three minutes to go.

Young nodded over in five minutes of stoppage-time as Tranmere held out.

- Advertisement -

Latest News

The bench bites back: watch the hilarious moment Rob Edwards gets a splinter on his bottom!

You've heard the stories of substitutes claiming they have splinters due to lack of game time, now watch the moment the bench bites back and takes a chunk out of Forest Green boss Rob Edwards' bottom.
- Advertisement -