A landlord in Stroud has received a combined total of £10,478 in fines and costs for breaching safety regulations.
Stroud District Council’s Environmental Health Officers brought the successful prosecution against Mr Amonbir Mander who owned the London Hotel in Stroud.
When an officer inspected the property in July 2022 they found the building fell below acceptable safety standards and there was a serious fire safety risk.
The hotel was being used as a `house in multiple occupation’ (HMO) and licensed for 20 tenants at the time of inspection.
Mr Mander pleaded guilty to the regulatory offences at Cheltenham Magistrates Court on 3 April 2023. He was fined £4,608 for the offence of being in breach of the safety regulations. He was also ordered to pay the investigation costs (£1,568.00) and the council’s legal costs (£4,112.50) in full. Additionally, he was ordered to pay a Victim Surcharge of £190.00. The total amount he was ordered to pay was £10,478.00.
London Road Hotel is now in the hands of new owners, having been sold by Mr Mander prior to appearing in court. The new owners are working closely with council officers to improve standards.
Stroud District Council’s Private Sector Housing Renewal Team works with private landlords and tenants to ensure that rented accommodation in the district is of good quality, meeting legal safety standards.
The council receives a number of complaints from private tenants about the standard of private accommodation every year and will take enforcement action when necessary. Fines of up to £30,000 can be imposed as a civil penalty per offence.
Landlord prosecutions are rare, with most landlords working with the council to improve standards.
Cllr Mattie Ross, chair of Stroud District Council Housing Committee said: “This prosecution should serve as a warning to landlords who don’t meet required standards in the Stroud district that we will take legal action to protect the health and safety of private sector tenants.
“All landlords have a duty of care to their tenants. Prosecutions are costly and time consuming, and I am grateful for the diligence of our Environmental Health Officers in this successful case.”
Cllr Lucas Schoemaker, vice chair added: “I urge all tenants to contact the council if they believe their accommodation is unsafe. There is information for both tenants and landlords on the Stroud District Council website: https://www.stroud.gov.uk/housing/private-sector-housing”