A dozen properties around Nailsworth took part in a Heritage Open Day on Saturday.
A late addition to the list was the town’s former railway station. Built in 1867 as a terminus to the Stonehouse and Nailsworth Railway, the station closed in 1966. The grade II listed property was bought by Andy Saunders in 1992 and has been sympathetically renovated.
Christ Church in Newmarket Road staged an exhibition of the building’s history – including how it was moved, brick by brick, up the valley in 1881. A number of people were dressed as figures associated with the Church’s history and explained their roles to visitors.
David Duval was on hand at the Clock Tower, having recently retired from maintaining the clock for the past 10 years. The tower was built in 1951 as the town’s War Memorial and the clock, designed and built by Gillett and Johnston of Croydon, installed in 1952.
“The electronic mechanism requires oiling and keeping clean about once a month – it keeps very good time,” explained Mr Duval, who first worked on clocks more than 50 years ago following a residential clock restoration course whilst he was serving in the Royal Air Force.
Other properties on the trail included The Britannia, the Quaker Meeting House and Stokescroft. This weekend, September 16 and 17th, The Weaving Shed at Gigg Mill and Dunkirk Mill will be open, and tours at 11am, midday, 2pm and 3pm can be booked by calling 01453 766273.